Saturday, October 26, 2013

B³ Postgame Recap: Tri-City 1, Lincoln 6

Stars celebrate the win
Courtesy of Shooting Star Photos
The Lincoln Stars captured their first home win of the season in dominating fashion with a 6-1 blowout victory over the Tri-City Storm at the IceBox on Friday night.

Click here to view the Pointstreak boxscore.

With the win, the Stars improved to 2-2-4 (8 points) and jumped from last place in the western conference to fifth place.  Tri-City dropped to 2-4-2 (6 points) and are tied with Fargo for last place in the west.  The Stars are 11-0-1 in their last 12 regular season games against the TC Storm, dating back to the 2011-2012 season.

Stars forward Luke Voltin got the Stars on the scoreboard first with a pretty backhand goal on a Lincoln powerplay at the 13:29 mark of the first period.  Brandon Smith and Dan Willett collected the assists on Voltin's first goal as a member of the Stars.

Very late in the period, another Lincoln forward got his first as a member of the Stars when Hunter Anderson knocked in a rebound past Storm goaltender Hayden Lavigne with only 35 seconds remaining in the first.  A point shot by Zach Frye was stopped by Lavigne, but Anderson did a great job of collecting the rebound with a Storm player on his back before slipping the puck into the net.  Frye and Max Humitz picked up the assists on Anderson's even-strength goal.

Stars took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission while leading on shots, 17-7.

In the second period, the Lincoln scoring explosion continued with even-strength goals from John Simonson at the 6:15 mark, and Tom Marchin at the 8:07 mark.  Simonson's goal came on an odd-man rush, while Marchin's was a bang-bang play directly of a faceoff in the TC defensive zone.  Magnus Hoff and Brandon Smith earned the assists on Simonson's fourth goal of the season, which leads all Stars.  Max Humitz picked up the lone assist on Marchin's goal.

Storm goaltender Hayden Lavigne was pulled after the Simonson goal and was replaced by Jacon Johansson, who gave up the Marchin goal.

Late in the second, with the Stars spending a good amount of time in the penalty box, the Storm turned it around a bit and seemed to play with more intensity.  Their good play was rewarded with a goal by Joel LEsperance at the 14:46 mark of the second period.  TC showed some life in the latter half of the middle period, but Michael Bitzer and the Stars were able to shut the door.

Lincoln took the 4-1 lead into the second intermission.  Storm outshot the Stars 17-13 in the second period.  Through two periods, Lincoln led in shots 30-24.

In the third, it was all Lincoln as the Stars outscored the Storm 2-0 and outshot them 14-7.

Christian Lampasso got his first in a Stars jersey at the 6:49 mark of the third thanks to another rebound given up by a Storm goaltender.  Lampasso was right outside the crease in perfect position to easily tap in the rebound.  Tom Marchin and Max Humitz collected the assists on Lampasso's even-strength goal.

Only 24 seconds after the Lampasso goal, which made it 5-0 Stars, forward Jason Stephanik scored at the 7:13 mark to complete the scoring on the night.  On the play, Jared Kolquist sent a shot wide of the goal which bounced off the rear boards and went right to Stephanik who snapped the puck past Johansson.  Kolquist and Zack Pittman picked up the assists on Stephanik's second goal of the season.

Max Humitz led all scorers with three points (all assists) last night, and was +3.  Jared Kolquist was an amazing +5 on the night.

Michael Bitzer was stellar once again, as he stopped 30 of 31 shots for the win.  Storm goaltenders Hayden Lavigne and Jacob Johansson combined to stop 38 of 44 Lincoln shots on goal in the loss.

Lincoln's penalty kill unit really did a great job last night, blanking the Storm on all 7 powerplay opportunities they had.  The Stars went 1-for-4 with the man advantage.

Did anyone out there see the double minor penalty (and game ejection) called on Stars defenseman Connor Frantti late in the second period?  I didn't see it at all, and neither did anyone around me.  It was a very odd course of events, as the ref never raised his hand during play, and conferred with his linesmen after the play for a few minutes before the call was made.  Frantti already seems to have a referee target on his back due to his size, something as Stars fans we are very familiar with (Mike McKee).

Here's a stat my good friend BellsTolls sent me this morning:  The Stars have not allowed more than 1 goal in their past 3 games (Team USA 1, Youngstown 1, Tri-City 1). The last time the Stars went 3 straight games without giving up more than 1 goal in each was Nov. 22-29, 2008 (Fargo 1, Sioux City 1, Tri-City 1; Borelli, Borelli, Murdock). It's been almost 5 years since the Stars have been that efficient 3 games in a row!

Big opportunity tonight at the IceBox to sweep the weekend and get four points with the Muskegon Lumberjacks coming to town.  The 'Jacks did not play last night, so I would assume they'll be well rested and ready to play.  Should be a great game.

Go Stars.


Anonymous said...

I know this has nothing to do with the play on the ice, but does anyone know what the deal is with the giant star not dropping during the intros? Not a big deal, but it's cool and I'm curious.

Yeti said...

Anon: I was told that it was due to a faulty motor. Hopefully they can get it fixed before the next home game.